Saturday, July 9, 2011

Align this

As previously discussed, the Miata has been making some clunking noises during turning and braking. Were it a car with power, it might make noise during acceleration, too. This problem has been well-documented to be caused by movement of the alignment cams. After the autocross I put dabs of paint on all 8 cams (two per corner to adjust toe, camber, and caster). I re-inspected today after about 200 miles of driving, and none had moved (yay!). Hopefully this means my super-duper alignment is still intact.

Front right wheel, rear cam.


Close-up of cam, note paint dot ensuring alignment.


Front left, rear cam. Also in good shape.


To protect things in the future and reduce the noise, I used a high-tech breaker bar setup to tighten the front cams. I had not heard any noise from the rear, so those are staying the way they are.


Shakedown run with the G-dawg as navigator showed that noise is definitely reduced. Slight clunk on hard braking, but I can live with that. Since the cams are marked, I can always dial the alignment back in should things shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment