Tuesday, July 26, 2011

More Autocross Love

Sorry for the long interval, faithful reader(s?).

July was a good month, back-to-back weekends of autocross fun. July 23rd I ran with the SVT (Ford) club. Very well-run event, a bit more expensive than usual, but they provide lunch, and we got in a whopping 11 runs. As an added bonus, my brother-in-law Dr Kevin was in town and co-drove my car. We had a great day, and Dr Kevin even beat a Porsche 928 in his first event! I, of course, DFL'd.

My results:


Dr Kevin's:


July 30th was the regularly-scheduled Renegade Miata event. Very good course, technical but surprisingly fast. I had trouble getting a clean run, only one was cone-free (each cone is a 2-second penalty). However, my times were very consistent, thanks in part to a tire sprayer I purchased. The tires I run lose grip very easily when they get hot, and a sprayer cools the tire quickly by evaporation of the water. My first two runs were solid, and my third one felt awesome right up till I spun one gate from the finish. I lost my nerve after than and backed off a bit. Here's the video of that third run (admit it: you only watch the videos where I spin).



In other news, I got a free (!) set of nearly-new winter tires and wheels from a guy who moving to NYC and getting rid of his car. I didn't need them, so I put them up on Craigslist and got a good price for 'em. Schwing! The money is going toward a set of wider wheels and newer tires. I've got my eye out for a deal, which will probably come along at the end of the autocross season, when guys are getting yelled at to clean out the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment